By Joe Gerrard • 20 February 2019 • 10:56
HOLIDAY DEATH: The girl was staying in Mijas with her family
A NINE-YEAR-OLD British girl has died of what coroners believe was a severe allergic reaction to ice cream while holidaying with her family on the Costa del Sol.
The girl was taken to hospital shortly after eating the ice cream in Mijas on Friday. Her parents told staff at the cafe where they were eating and they called in emergency services, according to Diario Sur.
Paramedics took the girl first to the Costa del Sol Hospital in Marbella before transferring her to the Maternal and Children’s Hospital in Malaga City as her health worsened.
The girl’s condition became critical and she died late on Monday afternoon, according to hospital sources.
Coroners from Malaga City’s Institute of Legal Medicine performed a post-mortem on the girl’s body
Initial results from the tests showed the girl died of an anaphylactic shock, a severe allergic reaction which causes an extreme reaction from the body’s immune system. She is believed to have been allergic to milk and nuts in the ice cream.
Symptoms include throat and mouth swelling, rashes, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, asthma, falling blood pressure and unconsciousness. It can be life-threatening in some cases.
Coroners at the Institute of Toxicology in Sevilla City are due to analyse the results of the Malaga City post-mortem to confirm the cause of death. The courts have opened an investigation into the death which remains open.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.