DRIVING ABROAD: British government warns drivers to prepare for changes in event of Brexit no-deal

ALTHOUGH much of the situation still remains unclear, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) of the British government has issued a stark warning for drivers to get ready now for any impending changes.

For example, if you hold a UK licence and are driving in a European country, then you will have to satisfy the requirements set aside for the country you intend to drive in.

For example, according to the DVSA, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on March 29, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in EU and the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).

After Brexit, in the event of no deal, you will need a “1949 permit” to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus on holiday. These International Driving Permits (IDPs) can be obtained from Post Offices in the UK.

You may also need to update your vehicle´s insurance documents, by ensuring that you have a “Green Card” accompanying your existing paperwork. Green cards are an international certificate of motor insurance. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, drivers may need a green card as proof of third-party motor insurance.

You should contact your insurer for more information and to get a card.

In addition, from March 29, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you may need to display a GB sticker on your vehicle, even if you already have an EU standard number plate that features the EU flag with the GB label, that will not be sufficient.

Want to know more?

The UK Government’s Brexit website has information and updates on everything you should do to prepare for Brexit: https://euexit.campaign.gov.uk/

You can also register for alerts and further information about Brexit.


Author badge placeholder
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing newsdesk@euroweeklynews.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews