UPDATE: Woman critically burned in Mallorca fire had been trying to save her dogs

FIRE: Emergency services had to rescue residents. Credit: SAMU IB

A woman critically injured in an Arenal (Mallorca) apartments fire had dashed through the flames to save her dogs.
The 65-year-old Italian national named only as Daniela, lived on the fourth floor of the block which was swept by fire yesterday (July 24).
Rather than wait for firefighters to rescue her from her balcony she decided to escort her two mongrel dogs down the stairs to safety.
She paid a high personal price in an effort to save her pets, suffering 60 per cent burns to her body.
Daniela did succeed in her objective–both dogs escaped unharmed and are being looked after at the Llucmayor municipal pound.
Daniela had to be quickly transferred to the Son Espases hospital and from there to the specialist burns unit of the Vall d’Hebron Hospital in Barcelona.
Another four people suffered burns of varying degrees and nine others were treated for smoke inhalation.
According to reports from the emergency services and the Fire Department of Palma, the blaze started at about seven in the morning on the second floor of a block of flats in Calle Gran i General Consell.
The fire started on a sofa in one of the flats and quickly spread throughout the rest of the building.
Firefighters had to rescue several residents who were trapped by the choking fumes.
Ladders were used to reach their balconies.Two women aged 70 and 76 and a 40-year-old man were taken to Son Llatzer hospital and a 39-year-old man was taken to Son Espases with burns.
Four ambulances were sent to the scene, with medics treating nine residents for smoke inhalation

Author badge placeholder
Written by

Joe Gerrard

Share your story with us by emailing newsdesk@euroweeklynews.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews