By Linda Hall • 05 May 2020 • 11:35
AVOCADO: Wide market for Axarquia produce. Photo credit: Pixabay
THE year 2020 has been a good one for Axarquia avocados but growers must wait until June to assess the mango crop.
Axarquia’s 2020 avocado campaign, now practically over, has been a good one. This year’s crop was bigger than 2019’s and prices relatively higher, fruit firm director Sigfrido Molina told the local Spanish media. Over the last weekend of April, growers brought in approximately nine tons of avocados, leaving very little fruit left on the trees, Molina said.
“The market is fairly spread out,” he added. “Around 45 per cent has been sold in Spain and the remaining 55 per cent going to Europe as well as outside the continent. Regarding mangos, Molina said he hoped this year would be productive as there was “little fruit” last year. Growers’ main worry was the recent rain.
“The trees are in blossom now and the flowers tend to rot if there is too much humidity,” he explained, adding that the sector would have a better idea of what to expect in June.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Originally from the UK, Linda is based in Valenca and is a reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering local news. Got a news story you want to share?
Then get in touch at [email protected]
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.