Family tragedy as toddler dies after swallowing battery

Family tragedy as toddler dies after swallowing a battery from a television remote control.

17-month-old Reese Smith from Texas passed away after the battery settled in her esophagus and burned her vocal cords, throat and esophagus.

The child’s mother took her to see a pediatrician when the toddler developed an incessant cough, reports Metro.

An X-ray confirmed the mother’s fears that the little girl had indeed swallowed the battery and she was transferred to Texas Children’s Hospital where she underwent surgery to remove it and try to alleviate the damage done to her throat area.

Despite doctors’ efforts, Reese didn’t survive and died last week.

The little girl’s family, who shared her story on a GoFundMe page, are “absolutely devastated”

“Heartbroken… not much more to say at this point. I’ve been trying to find the words for a while. I have to return home but we were missing a member of the family. It is an anguish that I will never be able to express,” said Reese’s mum on Facebook.


Thank you for taking the time to read this news article “Family tragedy as toddler dies after swallowing battery”. For more UK daily news, Spanish daily news and Global news stories, visit the Euro Weekly News home page.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Tara Rippin

Tara Rippin is a reporter for Spain’s largest English-speaking newspaper, Euro Weekly News, and is responsible for the Costa Blanca region.
She has been in journalism for more than 20 years, having worked for local newspapers in the Midlands, UK, before relocating to Spain in 1990.
Since arriving, the mother-of-one has made her home on the Costa Blanca, while spending 18 months at the EWN head office in Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol.
She loves being part of a community that has a wonderful expat and Spanish mix, and strives to bring the latest and most relevant news to EWN’s loyal and valued readers.

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.