By Laura Kemp • 16 December 2021 • 12:58
The Queen has cancelled her traditional pre-Christmas family lunch that was due to be held next week as Covid spreads rapidly through the UK.
ITV’s royal correspondent Chris Ship suggested that the lunch could put too many people’s Christmas arrangements at risk if it went ahead.
Her Majesty was planning on holding the lunch at Windsor Castle with 50 or so relatives in attendance, including Prince Charles and Camilla.
However, it was announced this morning, December 16, that she has cancelled “with regret” as a “precautionary measure.”
Royal sources said: “There is a belief that it is the right thing to do for all concerned.”
This is the second year in a row that the monarch has had to cancel the event that is usually held at Buckingham Palace.
Last year, the event was called off because of the Delta variant.
It comes as the UK was told yesterday to be sensible about Christmas plans and to not socialise with strangers amid the highest recorded Covid cases.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you donâ€™t already have one. Review our
Originally from UK, Laura is based in Axarquia and is a writer for the Euro Weekly News covering news and features.
Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.