Good news as 12-year-old who suffered cardiac arrest at rugby practice now awake

Good news as 12-year-old who suffered cardiac arrest at rugby practice now awake

Good news as 12-year-old who suffered cardiac arrest at rugby practice now awake. Image: Marietjie Botha/Facebook

A 12-YEAR-OLD boy from South Africa, who suffered a cardiac arrest during rugby practice earlier in the week, is awake and talking.

Rick “Tank” Hendriks suffered a cardiac arrest on Tuesday, August 9, on a rugby field at Tuine-Grizzlies Rugby Club in Pretoria, South Africa. However, it has been reported by Rekord on Saturday, August 13 that he is now awake.

According to his rugby coach, Nico Diedericks, “We are all incredibly relieved to see him conscious and talking.”

“We can only thank God that he is OK and didn’t suffer any brain damage.”

The scary incident happened when Rick was running laps around the field.

Owner of the club, Jaco Olivier, said at the time: “The player, who is part of the junior rugby club, went into cardiac arrest while running around the field.

“One of our coaches initiated CPR on the boy until emergency services arrived.”

It was actually Nico Diedericks and his brother AJ that initiated the cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

“After about three minutes, Rick regained consciousness and started vomiting and I turned him on his side,” said Diedericks at the time.

An air ambulance was called and the young boy was airlifted to the hospital.

“The patient was defibrillated and CPR was resumed until he regained his own heartbeat,” Emergency Medical Service spokesperson Xander Loubser said at the time.

“The child was revived and was airlifted shortly afterwards to hospital by NetCare911 HEMS.”

Following news of his cardiac arrest, people were quick to post well-wishes on Facebook.

“Granny’s bull/ springbok Rick Hendriks, my love lives for his rugby. My love, you are very sick after my child went into cardiac arrest yesterday (9/8/2020) at Grizzlies rugby club.

“Thank you to everyone who assisted him, and good luck to mummy, daddy and brother.

“Our prayers will carry you through and Jesus will quickly heal you completely. Love you all so much,” wrote Marietjie Botha.

The near-fatal incident comes after news that a 20-year-old tragically lost his life after suffering a cardiac arrest.

Djouby Laura, a 20-year-old footballer who played for USC Roura, died of a cardiac arrest he suffered during the club’s training session late on Thursday, August 11.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Written by

Matthew Roscoe

Originally from the UK, Matthew is based on the Costa Blanca and is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at


    • Lora

      14 August 2022 • 13:39

      Another Vaccident.
      All “died suddenly” articles should include Vax status … This doesn’t just happen to healthy young people, unless they’ve gotten the recent forced jab.

    Comments are closed.