ENGLISH NEWS: Childhood sweethearts revealed as victims of tragic hit-and-run in England

Ann and Lawrence Nickerson were killed in a hit-and-run in Newcastle last month. Credit: Family handout.

A TRIBUTE has been made to a devoted couple who died in a tragic hit-and-run just months before they were due to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary.

Ann and Lawrence Nickerson were killed as they set out for dinner together at a restaurant in Newcastle, England, on Saturday, November 23. However, they were tragically struck by a car on Jesmond Road, with the driver fleeing from the scene. Ann, 75, was pronounced dead at the scene with 79-year-old Lawrence succumbing to his injuries hours later in hospital.

Today, the couple’s family have issued an emotional tribute to the pair, revealing that they were childhood sweethearts who had been due to celebrate 60 years of marriage together next year. The statement read:

“Our entire family has been left inconsolable by the loss of Ann and Lawrence.

“They were our parents, our grandparents and our best friends. For our loved ones to be taken from us in such a horrific and tragic way, we will be forever changed and mourning this loss.

“As childhood sweethearts they married and raised three children together while working hard to build up their own family business, Clarks Home Bakery. The business went on to provide for the entire family for 42 years. 

“Next year we were all preparing to celebrate their Diamond wedding anniversary and Lawrence’s 80th birthday.”

Speaking to the ChronicleLive, the couple’s loved ones said that they were both extremely healthy and independent for their age, travelling across the country together and making friends everywhere they went.

In the wake of the tragic incident, Northumbria Police are urgently appealing for motorists who may have dashcam footage of the incident to get in touch. Sergeant Matt Sykes, of Northumbria Police’s Motor Patrols Department, said:

“This is a terribly upsetting case which has resulted in the tragic death of two people.

“I want to thank all the witnesses who have come forward so far and helped us, but we are still in need of dashcam footage to help us formulate a picture of the events leading up to, and after the collision.

“If you were in the area at the time of the incident, and you think you can help, please get in touch.”

As Euro Weekly News understands, the police previously arrested a 22-year-old man on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, however, he was released as officers continue to gather information as part of their investigation.

Anyone with any information in the UK is asked to call Northumbria Police on 101.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Isha Sesay

Comments


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.