Tesco Fined £500k After Boy Electrocuted in Berkshire Store

Tesco workers to cause chaos in Christmas strikes. Image Source: Twitter

TESCO has been ordered to pay a £500 thousand fine after a 10-year old boy was electrocuted by an exposed wire while taking an ice lolly from a freezer.

In 2017, the boy was reaching to grab an ice lolly from the freezer of Tesco’s branch in Warfield, Berkshire when he was electrocuted by an exposed wire. The supermarket’s staff didn’t turn off the unit for a day after the incident, and the loose rail was known to leave wiring exposed and was frequently patched up by glue and tape.

Tesco pleaded guilty to two health and safety charges at Reading Magistrates Court and was ordered to pay a total fine of £536,000.

A spokesperson for the supermarket giant said: “This incident at our store in Bracknell in July 2017 should not have happened – as we acknowledged in court, on this occasion we did not meet our high standards when it comes to health and safety.

“We immediately refreshed colleague training on our health and safety and maintenance escalation procedures at this store after the incident took place.”

Thank you for taking the time to read this news article “Tesco Fined £500k After Boy Electrocuted in Berkshire Store”. For more UK daily news, Spanish daily news and Global news stories, visit the Euro Weekly News home page.


FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Oisin Sweeney

Oisin is an Irish writer based in Seville, the sunny capital of Andalucia. After starting his working life as a bookseller, he moved into journalism and cut his teeth as a reporter at one of Ireland's biggest news websites. Since joining Euro Weekly News in November, he has enjoyed covering the latest stories from Seville, Spain and further afield - with special interests in crime, cybersecurity, and European politics. Anyone who can pronounce his name first try gets a free cerveza...