Lorca aid money is on the way

May 11, was the first anniversary of the Lorca earthquake in which nine people died and 324 were injured.

The 5.1 earthquake caused €1,200 million of damage and left thousands homeless. But promised government aid is coming through at last.

“The money for approved applications is here,” announced Inmaculada Garcia, government commissioner for rebuilding Lorca. “Transfers will go through later this month for those still pending,” she added.

There had been a certain lack of action regarding rebuilding aid, Garcia conceded, owing to the involvement of three different administrations.

“Much remains to be done,” Garcia said.

But the 16,000 applications for help had now been dealt with, she said, and payments would soon be arriving.

A total of €230 million has been allocated for distribution amongst Lorca residents.

Half is provided by State Contingency Fund for Lorca, while the remaining €115 million will come from ICO, Spain’s official credit institute.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews

Comments