By Euro Weekly News Media •
Published: 13 Aug 2014 • 15:29
A convicted robber who walked out of an open prison in Boston six years ago is back inside this week after authorities caught up with him.
James Johnstone, who was approaching the half way stage of a six and a half year sentence for a series of robberies and attempted robberies, was eventually tracked down to the resort of Palma on the island of Mallorca, where he was detained last month under a European Arrest Warrant.
Jonathan Dunne, prosecuting, said that Johnstone was flown back to the UK and is now back in prison serving the three years and 11 months remaining from his original sentence.
Londoner Johnstone aged 30 admitted escaping from custody on September 5, 2008. He was sentenced to serve an additional two month jail term consecutive to the original prison term he is now back serving.
Johnstone’s defence lawyer, Christopher Geeson, said Johnstone had changed his life for the better whilst he was on the run.
“He has made efforts to better himself. He has taken some very positive steps in his life…his girlfriend, who has been with him for four years, had a child this year.”
Commenting on his own rehabilitation Mr Geeson added, “He has been making a living through work rather than crime. He was effectively on the road to being a lifetime serious criminal but he has effectively drawn back from that.”
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.