UPDATE: Hostage drama in Netherlands 

O J Simpson dies after cancer battle

Credit: EWN

Dutch hostage crisis resolved

UPDATE: Saturday, March 30 at 3:28 pm

In a swift turn of events, the hostage situation in Ede, a town in Gelderland province, has come to a peaceful conclusion. Dutch authorities have confirmed the release of all individuals held captive within the confines of the Petticoat cafeteria, bringing relief to the local community and beyond.

The Gelderland Police, confirming the successful resolution on their X social media platform: ‘The last hostage has just been released. One person has been arrested.’

Earlier today, in a move that underscored the severity of the incident, approximately 150 residents were moved to safety from the vicinity of the unfolding drama. The police operation ended with the arrest of one suspect, marking the end of the hours-long standoff.

Saturday, March 30 at 12:37

In a shocking development in the Netherlands, a masked individual has seized several hostages.

On Saturday, March 30, in Ede, a town situated less than 60 miles from Amsterdam, a masked man allegedly armed with explosives. Ede’s cafes and surrounding residences witnessed an unprecedented emergency response.

Heavy police and bomb squad deployment

A considerable number of law enforcement officers and bomb disposal units have been dispatched to Cafe Petticoat in Ede following claims by the assailant of possessing explosives. By 10.15 am UK time, three hostages had been safely released, though reports suggest one individual remains in captivity.

Investigation and community response

The authorities have made it clear, ‘We notice that there are many questions about the reason. At this time there is no indication of a terrorist motive.’

The sight of a bearcat, a robust armoured vehicle, underscores the severity with which this scenario is being handled. Mayor Rene Verhulst spoke to local media: ‘A hostage situation is currently underway in the centre of Ede.

‘Three hostages have just been released, but the situation is still ongoing. A terrible situation for all these people. My concern and thoughts go out to them and their loved ones. I hope that the situation will now be resolved quickly and safely.’

Eyewitness accounts describe a masked man coercing the cafe’s staff, menacingly claiming his bag was filled with explosives. The ordeal, which started around 5:42 am, has lasted nearly five hours. A safety cordon has been established around the area.

Community and safety measures

The police, through a statement on Twitter, confirmed, ‘A hostage situation involving several people is underway in a building in the centre. That is why several specialist services are on site.’

The local population has been advised to avoid the town centre, and adjustments seem to have been made to the flight paths of aircraft over Ede. Meanwhile, evacuees from nearby homes are being accommodated at the town hall.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Written by

John Ensor

Originally from Doncaster, Yorkshire, John now lives in Galicia, Northern Spain with his wife Nina. He is passionate about news, music, cycling and animals.