6,000 bags stranded, 270 flights cancelled: Barcelona airport chaos worsens as strike enters third week
By Harry Dennis • Published: 20 Aug 2026 • 16:37 • 3 minutes read
Over 6,000 bags have been stranded since the Groundforce strike began. Credit: Lucian Coman / Shutterstock
Since a senior Lufthansa executive flew to Barcelona to break the deadlock in person, the queues and stranded suitcases have only grown. Flight cancellations have nearly doubled in a week, and none of the roughly 20 airlines caught up in the chaos know when it will end.
The indefinite strike by ground-handling staff at Barcelona-El Prat airport has now run for more than two weeks, with no fresh talks scheduled between the union and Groundforce, the company that employs them. What started as a walkout affecting around 170 flights and 3,000 bags has climbed to roughly 270 cancelled flights and 6,000 pieces of stranded luggage.
Passengers flying through Barcelona with Lufthansa, Air France-KLM, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, Etihad Airways, United Airlines and close to 20 carriers in total have faced repeated cancellations and baggage reclaim waits of more than five hours. British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Level, easyJet and Ryanair, which use different ground handlers, have been unaffected.
Lufthansa’s top brass flew in, but nothing changed
Six of the Lufthansa Group’s airlines, including Lufthansa itself, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings and Discover Airlines, are among the carriers hit hardest by the disruption. Given that exposure, the airline group sent a senior executive to Barcelona this week in an attempt to help resolve the standoff in person.
The visit, however, produced no breakthrough. Groundforce and the CGT union, which represents the roughly 1,175 ground staff on strike, have not held formal talks since July 24, more than a week before the walkout even began.
Why the workers say this was never about money
CGT spokeswoman Esther García said the company had “refused to negotiate decent working conditions”, calling management’s stance a failure of responsibility. Her colleague Juan Navarro put it more plainly earlier in the dispute: “We’re not asking for money, this is about our safety and health.”
The union points to understaffing, excessive shift rotations and inadequate rest periods as the root of the dispute, and says stress-related sick leave among ground staff has doubled since Groundforce’s management changed two years ago.
Government-ordered minimum services have not stopped the cancellations
Spain’s Ministry of Transport has ordered Groundforce to maintain between 35 and 80 per cent of normal service levels depending on the route, a legal minimum designed to limit the damage of the strike. It has not been enough to prevent near-daily cancellations though, and a power failure at the airport’s control tower on August 12 added further delays.
The contrast with Mallorca is stark. A separate ground-handling dispute at Palma de Mallorca airport, involving the company Swissport, was resolved through negotiation earlier this month, leaving Barcelona as the summer’s one unresolved staffing conflict.
Families describe week-long waits for stranded bags
Online passenger accounts offer a more detailed and on the ground picture of the consequences behind the strike. One traveller wrote on Reddit that their family of four flew from Prague to Barcelona with Smartwings on August 8, and that none of their three suitcases made it onto the flight because of the strike. The bags stayed missing for the family’s entire week-long holiday, forcing them to buy replacement clothes, toiletries and swimwear, and were still logged as “pending” in the airline’s tracing system days after they had flown home.
Another passenger, who landed from Frankfurt with Condor on Sunday August 16, said they had heard nothing about their bags despite repeated calls and emails, and asked other travellers whether going to the airport in person had helped anyone track down missing luggage.
Not every account was as bleak though. One flyer arriving from Seoul with Asiana, which also uses Groundforce, said they had been warned of possible delays the day before travelling, only for their case to arrive faster than usual once they landed, pointing out that the disruption ins’t hitting every passenger evenly.
What passengers flying via Barcelona should know
Because the disruption stems from an independent ground handling company rather than airline staff, it is generally treated as an “extraordinary circumstance” under EU rules, meaning affected passengers are not entitled to cash compensation. Airlines must still offer a rerouting or a full refund, along with food, communication and, where necessary, overnight accommodation.
Some carriers have gone further. United Airlines has issued a fee-free change waiver for passengers booked through Barcelona, and other airlines are expected to offer similar flexibility while the strike continues. With no new talks scheduled and peak summer traffic still running high, passengers due to fly via Barcelona in the coming weeks are being advised to check their flight status before travelling.
Follow Euro Weekly News on Google News
Get breaking news from Spain, travel updates, and expat stories directly on your Google News feed.
Follow on Google NewsSign up for personalised news
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don't already have one. Review our Privacy Policy for more information about our privacy practices.
Harry Dennis
Born in the UK and raised on the Cádiz coast, Harry brings his background in design, music, and photography to his writing for Euro Weekly News, sharing stories that celebrate culture and lifestyle across Spain and beyond.
Comments