By Euro Weekly News Media • 17 October 2013 • 8:08
A FAMILY which has been fighting a controversial land grab of their garden had to call police after two builders started demolishing their perimeter wall.
Thirteen years after being told developers were to take the majority of their land, and six years since they last heard anything, the Wesenauer family are once again facing the fight of their lives.
April and Hans bought their finca on urbanisation Lomas de Don Juan, Campoamor in 1996, making the move from Austria with their three daughters: “We wanted a peaceful, simple existence, a home to bring up our family.” That peace was shattered when in 2000 they received a letter saying they were to be victims of the LRAU land grab law which allowed developers to take land for development if they could prove it was for the good of the community.
Their property falls in the PAU-25 and the constructor wanted to take a proportion of their 3,450 square metre plot. To add insult to injury they were also demanding €44,000 from the Wesenauers for ‘infrastructure costs’.
In 2001 night-time fires were set around their property destroying the natural pine forest, clearing the land for construction.
What ensued was years of legal battles and letters to every possible high authority including the Prime Minister and the EU.
Since 2007 all had been quiet and the family thought they had won. That was until two men arrived at their property last week and ripped out 60m of their perimeter fencing. April was in New York (USA) visiting her eldest daughter and flew back immediately as her husband has heart problems and cannot handle the stress.
Police were called and confirmed the workers had no licence or permit to justify the action. “I just want answers” said April. “I have had enough. My daughters have spent their whole lives living under this cloud. I just don’t understand this or how it can be allowed to happen.”
April has a meeting with Orihuela’s Mayor tomorrow (Friday) to discuss the matter.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Terrible situation to be in. Should not be allowed and should have been stopped by now. How can the Spanish speak about the freedom of their people and the tourist they want to buy into their dream, when dreams are shattered through no fault of your own.
You would think that with over 2 million homes empty in Spain,the local authorities would bend over backwards to ensure that all this ‘land grab’ stuff was finally put to bed,but no!They just don’t get it,the country is on the rocks,most homes have been for sale for years,with no hope of a sale,and to attract any inward investment especially foreign investment,the last thing the housing market needs is this unbelievable on-going land grab.El Loco!
The problem with Spain is their lack of vision and their inability to move forwards into the 21st century!!! They are wrapped up in red tape – and the people in power are these old style Franconian (from the Franco Era) people who are in power for their self gratification. They would prefer to stay on a path of self destruction (financial and political) – than admit they’ve made an error – or that the laws need updating and changing to encourage people to invest in the country. Spain has it all – the weather – beautiful vistas – fantastic coastline – wonderful local spanish people living in superb pueblos. Pity they’ve got idiots running the show!!!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.