By Euro Weekly News Media • 14 February 2019 • 12:15
SPAIN is set to get the first major smart sustainable city project in Europe – planned and built from scratch – and will get a huge theme park and water park thrown in for good measure.
The huge venture is expected to create 15,000 jobs by completion of the first phase and 40,000 to 50,000 by year ten.
Developers say the Elysium City project will place Castilbanco (Badajoz) and Extremadura as a unique destination at an international scale.
“Elysium will be the first of its kind. All elements of design construction and operations will have a focus on sustainability, efficiency, and quality of life.”
The construction should start soon with an anticipated opening date of the first phase, including four hotels, casinos and an 18-hole ‘signature’ golf course, in 2023.
The plans also include a 40,000 seat stadium, residential housing, shops and a marina.
US-based company Cora Alpha is behind the design of the project that estimates to see over four million visitors to the city when it first opens.
Location: Castilblanco, Extremadura
Target opening year: 2023 for Phase 1, 2028 for Phase 2
Land area: 1,200 hectares
Jobs created: 15,000 by completion of Phase 1, 40,000 to 50,000 by year ten
Theme park projected first-year attendance: 2,000,000
Water adventure park first-year attendance: 750,000
Non-theme park activities first-year attendance: 1,500,000 (eg casinos, stadium, music festivals, sports events etc.)
Projected residential units: 2,000 in Phase 1
● 18 hole signature golf course
● Four hotels with casinos totalling 3,000 rooms – a five-star iconic casino hotel, four-star theme park casino hotel, four-star water park casino hotel and a three-star conference casino hotel
● Retail and dining entertainment
● Premiere 40,000 seat stadium
● High-speed train station
● Bike paths and nature trails
● Data centre and other city services
● Free gigabit speed wifi will be available throughout the city
● Solar-powered smart street infrastructure, smart lights, bus shelters, green coffee carts and smart park furniture
● Smart kiosks will provide real-time parking availability and traffic updates, public transportation schedules, weather forecasts and warnings
● Elysium City will play a key role in the research and development of the next generation communication standard, 5G
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you donâ€™t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.