Kids fancy dress safety precautions!

Halloween pumpkin on fire

FANCY dress costumes are being thoroughly checked after Strictly Come Dancing’s co-host Claudia Winkleman’s daughter, who was eight years old at the time, suffered serious burns last Halloween. The government has now launched a costume clampdown.

Claudia started a campaign after her daughter Matilda’s Halloween costume went on fire causing her to suffer severe burns.

It has been reported that The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) said Trading Standards officers across the UK would be carrying out flammability tests at hundreds of stores ahead of Halloween this year.

It is also investigating regulations governing their sales to see whether costumes should be enclosed by stricter fire rules for clothing.

With Halloween being a popular event celebrated by millions of people all over the world, there is a huge market for the number of costumes available for sale in stores. Retailers have been enforced to take action to stop importing cheap costumes as Ms Winkleman’s campaign got stronger.

When describing the events of what happened when Matilda’s costume was engulfed in flames, Claudia stated:

“She went up is the only way I know how to describe it … it was a spark and she screamed out for me.”

Ms Winkleman does not want any other child to go through the trauma which Matilda endured, and hopes the campaign will put a stop to highly flammable costumes.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published.