By Euro Weekly News Media • 30 October 2016 • 9:17
A MAGNITUDE 6.6 earthquake struck central Italy early on Sunday morning toppling the Basilica of Saint Benedict in Norcia and inflicting extensive damage on surrounding towns in the Umbria region.
Ussita mayor Marco Rinaldi told press “It’s a disaster! A disaster! I was sleeping in my car and I saw hell”.
Like many people Rinaldi had been sleeping in his car after being made homeless by the horrendous earthquake which struck the region in August, killing more than 300 people.
In Arquata del Tronto, struck again after being the epicentre of the August 24 earthquake, mayor Aleandro Petrucci said: “There are no towns left … Everything came down.”
The quake was so powerful that aftershocks were felt not only in Rome, but also across the border in Croatia and Slovenia.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Share your story with us by emailing [email protected], by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.