Wait almost over

NEW FIRE STATION: Is expected to open in early 2017.

THE wait for the new Nerja fire station is almost over, the council has announced.

Construction on the new 3,631m2 station at the main roundabout into town from the A-7 motorway was completed almost a year ago, but confusion over who was to pay for a change to the original plans and budgets led to the premises remaining closed.

The changes, valued at €90,000, were to be paid to Sando construction company in addition to the agreed €1,234,612 for the contract. Yet months of delay were caused by disagreement between the Provincial Council, which was to pay 60 per cent of the initial price, and the local town hall, which was responsible for the remaining 40 per cent.

Finally, the two have reached an agreement for the local council to pay the extra bill in exchange for the Provincial Council handing over the old fire station, which will be used as the Civil Protection headquarters, explained Nerja councillor Oscar Jimenez.

As soon as the payment, approved at the latest council meeting, is made, the Provincial Council will be able to take possession of the building and start equipping it for use.

Provincial firefighting consortium delegate Francisco Delgado Bonilla said: “we’re just waiting to get in to start fitting security doors and moving the fire brigade in, we hope the new station will be up and running in the first months of 2017.”

The station will provide service to Nerja, Frigiliana and Torrox, Bonilla explained.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Euro Weekly News Media

Share your story with us by emailing newsdesk@euroweeklynews.com, by calling +34 951 38 61 61 or by messaging our Facebook page www.facebook.com/EuroWeeklyNews