By Sarah Keane • 05 February 2021 • 19:01
MAN dies of heart attack outside Tesco store as staff refuse to hand over life-saving equipment
A pensioner in his 90s sadly died after a staff member in a nearby Tesco Extra reportedly refused to hand over potentially life-saving defibrillator, claiming that it was no for public use. The elderly man suffered a cardiac arrest outside the store in Gillingham, Kent, and passerby Samantha Badger, who also happened to be the man’s neighbour, phoned the 999 before beginning CPR. Emergency services advised her to grab the defib machine from Tesco, and another good Samaritan ran to get it.
However, much to everyone’s dismay, the security guard of the store reportedly refused to hand the defibrillator over, and even called the police to report its ‘theft’. The pensioner passed away shortly before paramedics arrived on the scene.
Ms Badger, understandably devastated by the events, vented her frustration of Facebook.
She wrote: “I’m absolutely disgusted with Gillingham Tescos at Bowaters roundabout!” She went on to describe how another passerby went to the store on her instruction to collect the vital piece of kit while she desperately continued to perform CPR.
“Heartbreakingly, the patient had passed away and defib never did turn up because as the workman ran into Tesco and collected it as he was running out of the shop with it, the security guard stopped him and told him that it wasn’t for public use!
“The distraught man was so upset and explained that the 999 emergency services said to come and get it whilst a lady (me) was performing CPR on a suspected heart attack patient, but they wouldn’t let him leave the store with it.
“This may have saved this gentleman’s life, but instead the poor chap and myself fighting desperately to save his life, whilst being denied emergency equipment, meant he sadly didn’t make it!”
A Tesco spokesperson told The Sun: “We’re incredibly sorry to hear about this and are shocked to hear the reported circumstances.
“It wouldn’t be appropriate for us to comment further while we are investigating these reports.
“We have 2,600 defibrillators in stores across the country which are available for anyone to use and we are reminding colleagues of this.”
Thank you for taking the time to read this news article “Man Dies Of Heart Attack As Staff Refuse Life-Saving Equipment”. For more UK daily news, Spanish daily news and Global news stories, visit the Euro Weekly News home page.
Share this story
Subscribe to our Euro Weekly News alerts to get the latest stories into your inbox!
By signing up, you will create a Euro Weekly News account if you don’t already have one. Review our
Former teacher and health services manager with a Degree in English, Sarah moved to Spain from Southern Ireland with her husband, who runs his own car rental business, in 2019. She is now enjoying a completely different pace and quality of life on the Costa Blanca South, with wonderful Spanish and expat friends in Cabo Roig. Sarah began working with Euro Weekly News in 2020 and loves nothing more than bringing all the latest national and international news to her local community.
How many people will ask for this equipment, if they don’t know how to use it? Hope the staff who withheld it are charged with murder and locked up for life! They’ll have plenty of time to reflect on their actions there. A pity the death penalty is no longer on the books, as that would be a more fitting one for those stupid individuals.
It’s a tad late to remind your staff now! Fire the stupid idiots who refused to hand over the defib machine, then have them PROSECUTED! Such blatant stupidity should be punished with JAIL TIME!!
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Download our media pack in either English or Spanish.