UPDATE: Suspect arrested in connection with Camden drive-by shooting

Suspect arrested in connection with Camden drive-by shooting

The Met Police has arrested a 22-year-old male in connection with the drive-by shooting outside a church where a funeral was taking place in Camden, London.

 

Monday, January 16 at 02:50am

The Metropolitan Police announced that a 22-year-old male has been arrested in connection with the drive-by shooting that occurred in Camden, London. He has been detained on suspicion of attempted murder.

They revealed that the suspect was arrested just before 4pm on Sunday 15 after officers pulled a car over in the north London Borough of Barnet.

Monday, January 16 at 0:30am

It was revealed on Sunday, January 15, that the deceased husband of 50-year-old Fresia Calderon – at whose funeral a drive-by shooting occurred – was a convicted member of a Colombian drugs cartel.

Carlos Arturo Sanchez-Coronado passed away in Santiago, Chile, last year aged 56. He previously did time in a British prison after being found guilty of being involved in a money laundering operation linked to Colombia’s notorious Cali cartel, according to dailymail.co.uk.

Prior to being sentenced, he was extradited back to the UK from South America. Sanchez-Coronado was jailed in 2009 after pleading guilty to three counts of money laundering and possessing fake documents.

A seven-year-old girl is still critical in a hospital following the shooting but is said to be stable. The police have yet to disclose a motive for the attack. One theory suggested is that the gunman was targeting a mourner at the funeral. They are still searching for the gunman who is thought to have been driving a black-coloured 2019 Toyota C-HR.

Saturday, January 14 at 8:50pm

A seven-year-old girl is reported to be in critical condition in hospital following a shooting incident in the Camden district of London earlier today according to the Met Police. Three other adult females also sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the attack. Two others have since been added to the list of injured.

A 21-year-old woman was taken to a central London hospital, plus a 12-year-old girl was taken to hospital with a minor leg injury but has since been discharged.

Police cordons have been established in the immediate vicinity of the incident in north London. Buses have been diverted to alternative routes, with motorists being warned to expect significant delays, as reported by dailymail.co.uk.

“I heard a big bang and police are in the church at moment. People who were leaving the church have rushed back in”, said Father Jeremy Trood, of St Aloysius church.

Labour leader Keir Starmer posted on Twitter: “I am deeply shocked by the shooting in Euston and want to thank the emergency services for their response. My thoughts are with the victims”.

Saturday, January 14 at 6:08pm

A drive-by shooting outside a church in north London this afternoon, Saturday, January 14, has left four people injured. Among those wounded is said to be a seven-year-old girl, as reported by MyLondon.

The incident occurred outside St Aloysius church on Phoenix Road, at around 1:30pm. Mourners were reportedly attending a double funeral for 50-year-old Fresia Calderon and her 20-year-old daughter, Sara Sanchez, in Camden. The two had passed away in November within one month of each other.

Emergency services were deployed to the location opposite Euston railway station to treat the injured. According to the Metropolitan Police, all four injured were female and sustained gunshot wounds when the unidentified attackers performed a drive-by shooting. The three wounded adults were aged 54, 48, and 41.

A police spokesperson said that none of them suffered life-threatening injuries although the 48-year-old could have potential ‘life-changing’ trauma. All four were transferred to a  but there has been no update on their conditions.

One witness told a MyLondon reporter who attended the scene: “No one knew if it was a bomb or gunman. We were looking for places to hide. We all just snuggled into corners where we could. We left after about 10 minutes, I did not dare leave before. It was not nice”.

___________________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Chris King

Originally from Wales, Chris spent years on the Costa del Sol before moving to the Algarve where he is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]

Comments