Family of toddler fighting for her life after being locked on bus give update

Toddler fighting for her life: The family of Nevaeh Austin has provided an update on her condition.

UPDATE 4 pm (May 5) – The family of toddler Nevaeh Austin – who has been left fighting for her life after being locked inside a bus for several hours outside her daycare centre in Australia – has provided an update on the three-year-old’s condition.

The young girl was trapped inside the vehicle outside the Le Smileys Early Learning Centre in Gracemere, near Rockhampton in Central Queensland for six hours on Wednesday, May 4. When she was discovered, she was rushed to hospital in critical condition.

However, speaking to Australian news channel 9 News, Nevaeh’s grandmother Pamela Parker revealed that the young girl is now talking, despite her ‘unstable’ condition.

“I spoke to Nevaeh, she’s good,” Ms Parker said.

“I’m thankful my granddaughter has pulled through but what this must be doing to her, I can’t even imagine.”

She added: “How does this happen? Why? Why did this happen? Lost, hurt, angry, scared… We just need more answers. We need to be told why.”

Further information has also been made available following police investigations into the incident.

It is now believed that the toddler – who was the only child collected by the daycare centre bus on the morning of the incident – was sitting in the second row.

She was also still strapped into her seat when she was finally discovered at around 3 pm – six hours after the minivan arrived at the centre.

According to, the girl was transported to Queensland Children’s Hospital in South Brisbane after staff at the centre attempted to perform CPR on the girl, who was found ‘unresponsive’.

UPDATE 8.06 am (May 5) – A toddler left fighting for her life after being locked inside a bus for several hours has been named and further information has been released. Temperatures reached up to 29-degrees in Rockhampton in Central Queensland, Australia on Wednesday, May 4 while the girl remained trapped inside the vehicle.

Three-year-old Nevaeh Austin was apparently the only child picked up by a minivan charged with taking children to the Le Smileys Early Learning Centre on Lucas Street in Gracemere.

The revelation that she was the only child on the bus at the time she was locked in was made by Capricornia Police District Detective Inspector Darrin Shadlow, who told reporters on Thursday, May 5: “It would appear she was the only child at the time.”

He added: “When they returned to the centre, the driver and one other person on the bus have forgotten she was there.

“We will leave no stone unturned in relation to this investigation,’ he said

“We have assistance from the crime intelligence command, our child trauma unit in Brisbane, and photographic and forensic officers attending the scene, just so we can get to the base of what has happened.”

According to the detective inspector, the daycare has “sought legal advice and will be going down that path” after he revealed they had been “cooperating to a degree.”

It is believed that only three people were on the bus at the time of the incident; young Nevaeh Austin, the driver and a daycare worker. She was locked on the bus from 9 am to 3 pm in the heat before she was found ‘unresponsive’.

The Daily Mail reported that Ms Austin was admitted to Brisbane Hospital, where hospital staff treated the toddler for kidney failure and took her for an urgent deep brain scan. She remains in critical but stable condition.

ORIGINAL 11.01 am (May 4) – A TODDLER has been left fighting for her life after she was locked inside a bus for several hours in temperatures that reached up to 29-degrees in Australia on Wednesday, May 4.

The three-year-old was trapped inside a minivan outside her daycare centre near Rockhampton in Central Queensland from drop off to pick up time. When she was discovered, she was found ‘unresponsive’ and was rushed to hospital.

The young girl was found in the van outside the Le Smileys Early Learning Centre on Lucas Street in Gracemere. She had been there from 9.30 am until around 3.15 pm, according to local reports.

Queensland Ambulance said at the time: “A three-year-old girl was found unconscious in a vehicle at Gracemere today.

“The girl was located on a bus out the front of a school on Lucas Street just before 3 pm. She was transported in a critical condition to Rockhampton Hospital.”

The ambulance service’s Central Region operations manager Jason Thompson told reporters that “on the crew’s arrival Queensland Police were already on scene and escorted the crew into the childcare centre where the young child was on the floor in the admin area,” he said.

Reporting on the events, Nine News Queensland reporter Tim Arvier told 4BC that “it’s believed she has been on the bus since 9.30 am, she was found around 3.15 pm.”

According to the Daily Mail, the parents of the three-year-old are with her at the hospital, where is remains in a ‘critical but stable’ condition.

This is a developing news story, we will update you with further information as it is made available.

Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

FacebookTwitterRedditWhatsAppTelegramLinkedInEmailCopy Link
Go Back
Written by

Matthew Roscoe

Originally from the UK, Matthew is based on the Costa Blanca and is a web reporter for The Euro Weekly News covering international and Spanish national news. Got a news story you want to share? Then get in touch at [email protected]


    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *