Russia’s Foreign Ministry said that it would not forget Poland’s reaction to the recent “missile incident” after the Polish Foreign Ministry “requested clarifications from Russia in connection with the incident with the fall of the missiles in Przewodów.”
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Russia’s Defence Ministry had provided exhaustive information about the non-involvement of the Russian Armed Forces and “as a result, Polish official authorities were also forced to admit that this “was not a Russian attack on Polish territory.”
On November 16, the Foreign Ministry of Russia summoned Polish Charge d’Affaires in Russia Jacek Szczladevski, who “strongly protested against the stirring up of anti-Russian hysteria for another far-fetched reason.”
“We are not planning to take any hasty measures in this context, but we will take it into account in the general context of our relations with Poland,” the ministry concluded.
Two people died after at least two cruise missiles hit a farm in the village of Przewodow in the province of Lubin, on the border between Poland and Ukraine on Tuesday, November 15.
Following the incident, Polish prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki summoned the Russian ambassador.
In the aftermath, an investigation from US officials suggested that the missile that hit Poland was not fired by Russia – but was fired by Ukrainian forces at an incoming Russian missile.
US President Joe Biden said at the time it was “unlikely” that a missile that killed two people in NATO-ally Poland was fired from Russia.
This was also stated by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, who said a deadly explosion in Poland was probably the result of a Ukrainian defence missile that killed two people.
However, he added that Russia bears “ultimate responsibility” for the war.
In a statement, Stoltenberg said: “Our preliminary analysis suggests that the incident was likely caused by a Ukrainian air defence missile fired to defend Ukrainian territory against cruise missile attacks.”
This echoes Poland’s President Andrzej Duda, who said today has said a missile blast that struck a Polish border village near its border with Ukraine appears to have been an “unfortunate accident” and not an “intentional attack”.
He said: “From the information that we and our allies have, it was an S-300 rocket made in the Soviet Union, an old rocket and there is no evidence that it was launched by the Russian side.
“It is highly probable that it was fired by the Ukrainian anti-aircraft defence.”
Thank you for taking the time to read this article, do remember to come back and check The Euro Weekly News website for all your up-to-date local and international news stories and remember, you can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
The legendary American professional wrestling legend Lanny Poffo passed away aged 68. (more…)
Canada's famous groundhog Fred la Marmotte was found dead just moments before he was due…
Spain’s good neighbours have been rewarded by Age in Spain. (more…)
The government of Lanzarote in the Canary Islands wants to lower the number of British…
Hakim Ziyech will not be joining PSG after the French Football League rejected an appeal.…
AFTER being sued for sexual assault late last year, Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler has officially…